Tuesday 6 September 2011

Band of Misfits

With the arrival of personnel from SRI and RKO (I think it stands for Radical Kool Octopi) our cast is complete and we are ready to start filming our zany ensemble action film. We have:
  • Bob, the retired grizzled navy veteran who is as tough as shoe leather and twice a chewy.
  • Mike, the rogue physicist turned ... space physicist!
  • James Bond (seriously, that is his name) the crane operator who can do things with a crane that make grown men cry ... like drop the ball on your foot (the ball is the 'crane' word for the hook-thingy, I learn something every day I tell you).
  • Brad and Luke who are trouble. Trouble looking for a place to lay its eggs ... and hatch tiny trouble chicks ... or make a trouble omelette. Trouble easy-over with bacon. They are deep fried trouble. Now I am just hungry, where was I?
  • Some guy called Spanky (again, seriously), who I am not even sure came with RKO. He may have just climbed into the van this morning as we headed out to the site. Heck of a worker though.
  • And another guy, whose name I forget. If this really was an action movie, not having a name would mean certain death, most likely before the second act. He might as well put on a red shirt and join a landing party.
As is probably already obvious, it was a long day. The first crates of panels arrived at site and RKO had the crane running and ready to unload them (they start at 6 am! I told you they are trouble). I made a point of placing the first dipole onto the Canadian array (cue dramatic music), sort of the like placing a flag on Everest but with more oxygen and less climbing.

Unpacking the first crate of panels

The first dipole! And ... I'm spent.


No comments:

Post a Comment